Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Go Geocaching

Today was a horribly frustrating day. I thought I was going to have this really great day off, which is what I really needed it to be. I feel like I've been working so much -- and that I've been so exhausted from working so much -- that I don't really get to do anything fun anymore. I also kind of feel like I've been neglecting my list. Suddenly, I felt this terrible looming pressure to cross goals off. I don't like that feeling. I also don't like the thought that this list has become more stress in my life rather than the challenge and entertainment it was supposed to be.

So today, amongst all of these gross feelings, I decided to step back for a moment, and try to have some fun. As I was perusing the iTunes App Store on my iPhone, I came across a free Geocaching app. This was perfect! I could use this app to search for a geocache, and cross off an item on my list while getting outside in the beautiful weather. I harnessed up Bo to take with me on my search, loaded a geocache to search for on my app, and set off.

It all went downhill from there. I think I was out searching for almost two hours. I tried so hard to find the one that is supposedly in Wicker Park, but to no avail. I didn't want to give up, but I just couldn't find the damn thing, and every time I thought I was close, the app would tell me I was 30 feet away (right after telling me I was only 9 feet away!!!). So I abandoned Wicker Park, and started walking toward another one just north of the Damen/North Ave/Milwaukee six corner intersection. I found my way into an alley where I ended up being only one foot away from the damn thing, but I just COULD NOT find it. And the hint was awful!

Because I really didn't want to give up, I opted to try the last option that was in the vicinity. My phone was almost dead, Bo was definitely tired, and Dov and Ari were ready to be picked up at the groomer, but I just had to give this last one a shot. And then, SUCCESS! I guess the third time was the charm today. I forgot a pen to write in the log, but I pass by it every day on my way to and from work, so I figure I can just stop tomorrow.

Finished Goals: 54/101
Days Left:
542

No comments:

Post a Comment