Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Learn How to Knit

Today I went to Nina: A Well Knit Shop and took a private lesson to learn how to knit. Hillary was my instructor, and she was really great. When I told her that I often need to learn how to do crafty things left-handed, she didn't flinch a bit.

She started out teaching me the traditional way to hold the needles and yarn (called English knitting or throwing), and I was getting it, but not as well as I wanted to. It just felt awkward holding the yarn in my right hand. So half way through the lesson, we switched, and Hillary showed me how to hold the yarn in my left hand instead. This method is called Continental knitting, and, according to Wikipedia, it originated in Germany. After we kicked their asses in WWII, Continental knitting fell out of style for obvious reasons.

Regardless, it's working pretty well for me now. I'm part way through my first project, which is a cowl. Good timing since cold weather is right around the corner. I chose a soft, chunky, beautiful, purple yarn. I'll post pics when I'm done. I think it's going to finish up very prettily.

Finished Goals: 87/101
Days Left: 32

No comments:

Post a Comment